Tuesday 20 November 2012

Books about naughty children part 2

6. The Christmas Crocodile - Bonny BeckerMy son's love books with plenty of naughtiness and mischief and this book is just packed with both. Alice Jayne finds a most unusual gift under the Christmas tree, a crocodile with a bright red bow wrapped around it's neck. From that point on it's one mishap after another, but the book always tell us "The Christmas Crocodile didn't mean to be bad, not really". And I don't think he does mean to be bad - it is just in his nature.

However, things go from bad to worse. The Christmas Crocodile eats his lovely red bow, then the presents, the wreath and the Christmas roast. He takes things too far when he decides to have just a smallish bite of Aunt Figgy's toes while she is sleeping and is banished to the basement. But that isn't the end of things - oh no, the Christmas Crocodile is only getting warmed up - but of course ""he doesn't mean to be bad - not really".

This is an absolutely delightful book. It is quite large and perfectly illustrated and certain to have any child in giggles at story time. Children of course relate to a creature that doesn't mean to be bad. After all most children don't really mean to get into trouble either. But the crocodile gets up to mischief on a scale most children could never dream of - and even if they could dream of it, eating the Christmas tree is just out of the question. Even a real crocodile would be hard pressed to eat many of the items in this story. Both of my sons, ages 3 & 6 enjoyed this and this is currently in the favourites pile, it just stays beside the bed as it gets read every night.

My favourite part of the story is Alice Jayne - she truly loves the crocodile - warts and all. No matter how many mistakes he makes, and how much trouble he gets into, she loves him just the same. This book is now so much a part of our family life that when one of my sons really misbehaves I'll say, "But of course you didn't mean to be bad - not really", and perhaps mention that sometimes crocodiles and little boys just can't resist. And of course like Alice Jayne - I love them just as much no matter what. Everyone needs an Alice Jayne in their life, someone who loves and accepts them, just as they are.

Another nice aspect of this book is that it very subtly draws attention to the fact that Christmas is not just a tree, gifts and a fancy meal. Thoese things are only trimmings. Christmas is about family and love and kindness to each other, and even without all the trimmings, it is Christmas just the same. Of course we love our tree and decorations, our presents and sweets, but this book offers a gentle reminder that Christmas is more than all that. It is so easy to get wrapped up in all the material aspects - we forget what is really important.


7. Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak:

Note : This review is for the original storybook as shown, not the modern movie version. The movie is loosely based on this, but very loosely in my opinion.

Everything about it is perfect from the storyline to the lovely pen and ink drawings that illustrate it. You can see the expressions clearly on Max's face and the monsters are botth a bit frightening, and quite adorable at the same time ( not unlike some children ). I personally love the way the illustrations show the trees growing in Max's room, so that you can really imagine it changing. I think all children must imagine their own rooms growing into forests like this after reading the story, at least I did as a child.

The story itself is simple but unforgetable. Max is a typical boisterous wee lad, dressed up in a wolf costume. He seems bent on mischief, until his mother sends him to bed. There in his room a forest grows. Max discovers a boat and sails away for the land of the Wild Things. he fits right in among the beasts, so well that they make him king and enjoy a wonderful wild rumpus. But of course little boys can only remain beasts for a short time, and he longs to be home where someone loves him "best of all". So sails back on a tremendous journey until at last he reaches his own room and finds dinner waiting for him.

I remember this very well from my own child and remember be totally captivated by the magic of the story, you could almost smell the woody forest, and feel the sea breeze. I do remember I also cried my eyes out because the poor monsters were left alone and were sad, but then I was an odd child.

My sons both love this book. They jump up and dance around with waving arms and terrible roars and we have our own wild rumpus. They both loves stories about nauhty children anyway , and find the part about Max's misbehaviour hillarious. They also likes that Max's mother loves him best of all anyway. I think perhaps all children may like that reasssurance that even if they act up a bit, Mom always loves them "best of all".


8. David Goes to School
For those of you who are not familiar with this character, David is the literary creation of David Shannon and meant to be a literary incarnation of the author as a child. If David were a real child, he would be the type that would drive some adults bonkers. In reality he is not very far removed from many delightful children I have known - but I know a few people described them in other terms. He is the type of child that you have to meet halfway, and keep them busy, or they will drive you to distraction. But these children also have a certain charm. and a spark to them that simply can not be matched. I can't tell you how many times I have been the position as a youth leader of trying to correct one of these boys only find my eyes tearing up with repressed laughter - which of course they catch on to right away! You just can't stay mad at them.

David is character that parents will either love or hate. He has been described as ADHD in a few reviews - I'm not sure if it is possible to diagnose a fictional character, but he certainly has a few of the common traits. Some adults find him frightening, with sharp teeth and small black eyes. Others feel he is a terrible example for children. But for every one who despises David, there are many who love him. He is a bundle of irrepressible energy - childhood in a pure and natural state. Yes he gets in trouble - and plenty of it but you can't help but smile as you read about his escapades, and children relate to him completely. He allows them to experience pure naughtiness vicariously, and gives them some one to empathise with when they too are misunderstood by the adult world.

This book shows us a day at school for David. All of the books in this series have a very simple text - usually one short sentence in large black crayon. The book begins "No David!" and a brief list of school rules " No yelling, No pushing ......" Each of the following scenes will show David doing something he shouldn't - or at least that the teacher believes he should not and the teacher's words - always another way of saying no.

We have had the first two "No David!" books for years and they have been among our most loved and cherished story books. I had skipped this one simply because my son is home educated. I didn't really think they would relate much to the school setting, but when we bought the Christmas book, we bought this as well simply because there are no other books in this series that we do not own. I need not have worried about the boys not relating - mischief is mischief and once again David Shannon's book has become a fast favourite.

I really like the simple text in this book. It is so clear and easy to read. Of course this was very easy reading for my 6 year old, but my 3 year old was able to memorise this in a few days and recite the story as he followed the words on the page. I do believe this helps the children learn to read at an earlier age. The illustrations are lovely, and the book is quite funny.

On the downside though, I'm afraid this gives a rather negative impression of school. I can't help but think if you were reading this to a toddler who has not yet started school it might fill them with dread. My sons' eyes were rather wide in a few instances as they asked me if schools really do things like that. I like to hope they do not, but it did remind me of my own school days. There is one scene where David is clearly desperate for the loo. He is holding his hand up while squirming in front of the class. - while the teacher shouts "Again?!" I remember this all to well from my own school days as I developed rather serious kidney infections and only a letter from the doctor and a few weeks out of school convinced the teacher to be a bit more lenient. I still remember the teacher deliberately humiliating others who needed the loo though - and I have had lifelong kidney complications. I would hope these days have passed. If a prisoner or suspect is denied the right to use the toilet as needed during questioning, that is considered a clear violation of human rights that may result in any criminal case being thrown out as well as a hefty financial settlement. I would like to think the average school child enjoys as many human rights as prisoner. While this is the most disturbing scene in the book it is not the only one.

Of course part of the story is just ordinary childhood antics - a food fight in the lunch room, staying out late after recess. But the overall tone of the school setting here is very repressive and even frightening. There is nothing that makes school look fun or pleasant, and the only good thing to happen to poor David is to finally be allowed to go home after being held after class.

My sons love this book - and I have to admit I enjoyed reading it myself - at least the first 50 times. It is full of humour and a wonderful way to help children learn to read. Of course David is always in trouble - in every book - one expects him to be in trouble here too. I afraid it was a rather accurate representation of many schools years ago - I just like to hope they have moved on a bit. This is the only one of the David books where my sons were really concerned by the adults behaviour. Even in our situation, as a home educating family, I did have some concerns that this book could give my sons too negative a view of school. I home educate my son now, because I feel that is the best option at this point in time. Things change, and they may want to attend an ordinary school at some time, or we may find a school with more to offer. I do expect that they will attend regular schools at least by secondary school though, and I would not want them to think schools are awful. I would recommend this book for a child who is already comfortably established in a school routine. I'm sure most will find a few a bits to identify with and hopefully it will make their school look very good by comparison. I also think it would provide an excellent opportunity for children and parents to discuss your child's experiences at school. It could prove a real eye opener. As much as we loved the book - I can not find myself giving this an unqualified recommendation though. If your child has not started school yet - I would think very carefully before buying this and be certain to preview it carefully before sharing it with a child

9. Rotten and Rascal

 Two terrible  Pterosaur twins with a horrible case of sibling rivalry. This book will have children laughing until they are in tears, but may upset some childen with it's shock ending.  Please be aware thisnreview will contains spoilers.

The story begins with the pterosaurs arguing, they are constantly shreiking and screaming and none of the other dinosaurs get a minutes peace and quiet.. the arguing gets worse as they both fight over a fish. Each dinosaur suggests a wat to solve the argument, but it only makes things worse with a horrible hollering hullabaloo. Until T Rex comes along. He silences the twins for good and the ending will shick most children into silence as well.

10. That's Not Funny
A practical joking hyena deligts in the misfortune his jokes cause others - but he won't get the last laugh - nor will he come up smelling of roses in a book that could ahve qualified for mention in my list of books about poo as well.

11 Troll Swap by Leigh Hodgkinson
 A wonderful story about a very active, energetic little girl and a shy and quiet troll who both learn that is OK to be different - we don't have to change who we are to be loved.
http://www.thebookbag.co.uk/reviews/index.php?title=Troll_Swap_by_Leigh_Hodgkinson

No comments:

Post a Comment